Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Fall Favorites {Shannon}

I honestly can't believe that autumn is here! I swear my life right now is like those movie montages of the calendar pages floating by way too quickly. Between finding a new routine for back to school, little league practice and games for my middle boy, nutcracker rehearsals for my ballerina girl, and engaging with my youngest during the day, my time seems to be stretched thin! When it's hot here in Texas there is only one place I like to be: under the AC! Which means a lot more time spent inside, and a lot more time available to be making and creating.

Now that the weather is nicer we are stretching our legs and moving to the outdoors. Less time sewing, and more time being together as a family. Which I love. Something about fall just brings us all together, everything feels cozier and just...better. I have to be a little more creative when it comes to finding time for projects, but I love a good challenge, and fall is definitely worth it! It's definitely my favorite season!

I thought I'd share with you five of my  favorite things about fall, and even some ways I've found to sneak a little "me" time into all the hectic, activity filled days.

1. Snuggling. I LOVE being cozy. I love when it's cold and I get to bundle up in socks and sweaters and scarves and blankets. We are never lacking in blankets in our home. We have a mix of handmade and store bought, but no one ever has an excuse to be cold! I've got my eye on some quilts I'd love to make this season, and really who doesn't love to cuddle under a brand new mama made blanket?
I absolutely love this quilt (and look the name is already perfect!). It's such a simple design, but so amazing. {source}
This bunting quilt is SO cute, and SO simple. I'm pretty sure at least one of my kids is going to get one of these cuties for Christmas! {tutorial here}
2. Baking. Now that the weather is cooler, you will find my oven on a lot more. Baking makes me happy, and since I'm trying not to keep all the goodies to myself, it allows me to make my friends happy too. Nothing brings a smile to someones face like a plate of homemade goodies, especially if they include pumpkin. Yum.
I've had this brown sugar pumpkin cheesecake pinned for forever, I think this year I'm finally going to try it out. {recipe here}
This recipe is the closet I could find online to a dessert I've had many times, such a good twist on the traditional pumpkin pie. {recipe here}
3. Layering. Honestly who doesn't love a good cardigan/scarf combo? Because I don't wear tank tops, summer dressing is always a little tricky for me. I still end up wearing layers, but they make me hot and cranky rather than confident and cute. In the fall bring on the layers! Nothing sets you up for a great day like loving what you've got on.
So many tutorials for making your own scarf! Maybe this year I can actually try one out? And how fun to have something custom made just how you like it! {tutorial here}
4. Shorter days. Call me crazy, but I love when the sun starts to go down earlier and earlier. When the kids are nestled in their beds, and the house is picked up, I love to hunker down on the couch for some good TV. Usually I can be found with a project in my hands. Embroidery is something  I can do and still get to spend some quality time with Keith.
I ADORE this hoop idea. This scripture is perfect for a sweet little reminder to hang on the wall, and it's wordy enough to keep my busy for more than a few nights. {original here}
 5. COOLER WEATHER! Obviously this the BEST part of Autumn! I feel so much more relaxed when I'm not in fear of constant sweating, haha! Though I love swimming, and the lazy days of summer, a cool climate is top notch in my book. Of course that begs the question, what the heck am I doing in Texas! And while the cool season isn't long here, I make the very best of it!

Writing all these out has me excited for what lies ahead! September to December has to be the best time of the year, hands down!






No comments: